UNDERSTANDING FOUNDATION SHIFTING & FOUNDATION SETTLEMENT
Foundation shifting and moving are serious problems that require immediate attention. Much like the settlement of your foundation, it could lead to various issues throughout your home’s structure such as wall cracks, misaligned windows and doors, and bowing walls. If you notice a shifting or moving foundation, call the professionals so we can assess your damages. The experts at Matthews Wall Anchor & Waterproofing Services are here to assist you with all of your foundation needs in the Pittsburgh, PA area.
Shifting or moving foundations are caused by many factors, but the most common are:
- Inconsistent Moisture Levels in the Soil: Excess moisture in the soil causes an increase in hydrostatic pressure. As the pressure increases, it pushes against the foundation, causing movement.
- Poor Soil Compaction: Sometimes new construction homes are built on the poorly compacted soil. As a result, the ground shifts and moves over time.
- Maturing Tree Roots: Trees and shrubs that are planted too close to your home can lead to shifting and moving foundations. As the roots grow under and around the foundation, they hit the foundation wall causing it to crack. During drought-like conditions, maturing tree roots can also dehydrate the soil causing soil shrinkage and movement.
- Aging Homes: Foundations may become unstable as the slab deteriorates over time. This leads to movement and shifting foundations.
- Leaky Plumbing: Broken pipes can cause water leaks, leading to soil expansion and swelling. As the soil expands, it causes pressure against the foundation walls.
- Poor Drainage: Flower beds may increase your home’s curb appeal, but offer no protection for foundations. Plants without an adequate drainage system or proper sloping can produce foundation issues over time.
If you notice any signs of foundation damage, give us a call. Our team of experts will identify the cause of your shifting or moving foundation and determine the best foundation repair solution for your home’s needs.
SHIFTING AND MOVING FOUNDATION REPAIR SOLUTIONS
Our experts will find the cause of your shifting and moving foundation so we can return your home’s structure to its original state. We offer steel piers or helical piers. Both are designed to stabilize and restore the foundation to prevent further foundation movement from recurring. They are driven deep into the ground until they reach stable soils, then the weight of the structure is transferred onto them to support the structure.
At Matthews Wall Anchor & Waterproofing Services, we use products made by Earth Contact Products (ECP). ECP is the leading manufacturer of foundation repair equipment, so this means you’re getting quality products built to last for many years to come.
If you have a moving or shifting foundation, contact Matthews Wall Anchor & Waterproofing Services today. We are here to answer any questions or concerns that you have. We offer the latest foundation repair methods to increase the longevity of your foundation. If you live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, give us a call today!